The Laboratory of Pharmaco- Genetics
The Laboratory of Pharmaco-Genetics in Assaf Harofeh Medical Center is a novel research and diagnosis center in the field of medicine, that is involved in the understanding of the connection between heredity and medications.
The laboratory is the outcome of a unique and joint project of the Department of Laboratories, the Laboratory of Biochemistry, the Unit of Pharmacology, and the “Din Laboratories Proprietary Limited (Ltd.)” company.
The tests being carried out in the laboratory
In the laboratory there are tests that are being carried out for the purpose of matching medications with patients based on their genetic background such as:
- A test for the purpose of matching treatment using the “Tamofixen” medication with malignancy (cancer) of the breast
- A test for the purpose of matching treatment using the “Clopidogrel” medication for prevention of hyper- coagulability of the blood
- A test for the purpose of matching treatment using the medication “Warfarin”/”Coumadin” in the field of coagulability of the blood
- A test for the purpose of matching treatment in patients who have a disease of the eyes that brings upon blindness
- A genetic test for the sensitivity of the Celiac disease
- An establishment of the level of the “Tamoxifen” medication in the blood
- An establishment of the level of the risperidone medication in the blood
- An establishment of the level of the Ritalin medication in the blood
In addition, the laboratory is establishing the levels of more medications for a range of diseases. Thus far in the Laboratory of Pharmaco- Genetics in the Assaf Harofeh (Assaf the Doctor) Medical Center there were an upward of 700 tests that have been carried out for the purpose of characterization of the genetic variance among women who are afflicted with malignancy (cancer) of the breast or who are candidates for the treatment with the “Tamoxifen” medication or with the inhibitors of aromatase.
Centers of Excellence
The Laboratory of Pharmaco- Genetics in the Assaf Harofeh (Assaf the Doctor) Medical Center constitutes a break- through in the world of medicine. In particular because of its ability to match the right medication and the right treatment with the patient, and not only with the disease. The laboratory also constitutes a center for genomics that is based on the utmost advanced and novel technologies in the field of molecular biology, which allows the obtainment of accurate, reliable, and advanced information regarding the genetic variance.
With the help of these technologies, the laboratory carries the ability to develop novel tests in the field of pharmaco- genetics which are based on testing of deoxyribo- nucleic acid (DNA) starting from the phase of the research up until their implementation and their marketing for the benefit of the patients in the medical center and in general.
Administration and Staff
The Head of the Laboratory of Pharmaco- Genetics in the Assaf Harofeh (Assaf the Doctor) Medical Center is Dr. Adina Bar-Haim. The professional staff in the laboratory enumerates laboratory workers who are certified in the field of molecular biology, toxicology, immunology, and biochemistry, as well as doctors who are experts in the fields of internal medicine, pediatric medicine, and clinical pharmacology.
- The “Assaf Harofeh” Medical Center may be contacted at fax number 08-9779898
- Professor Mati Berkowitz – Head of the Unit of Clinical Pharmacology, may be contacted at phone number 08-9779152
- Dr. Adina Bar-Haim– Head of the Department of Biochemistry, may be contacted at phone number 08-9779897
- Dr. Patricia Benveniste-Levkovitz – Head of the Unit of Immunology and Pharmaco- Genetics, may be contacted at phone number 08-9779877
- Dr. Rali Porer– Head of the Laboratory of Genomic Sequencing, may be contacted at cell phone number 052-7715360